Project management is the discipline of carefully projecting, planning, organizing, motivating and controlling resources to achieve specific goals and meet specific success criteria. A project is a temporary endeavor designed to produce a unique product, service or result with a defined beginning and end (usually time-constrained, and often constrained by funding or deliverables) undertaken to meet unique goals and objectives. The temporary nature of projects stands in contrast with business as usual (or operations), which are repetitive, permanent, or semi-permanent functional activities to produce products or services. In practice, the management of these two systems is often quite different, and as such requires the development of distinct technical skills and management strategies.
The primary challenge of project management is to achieve all of the project goals and objectives while honoring the preconceived constraints. The primary constraints are scope, time, quality and budget. The secondary — and more ambitious — challenge is to optimize the allocation of necessary inputs and integrate them to meet pre-defined objectives.
Traditionally, project management includes a number of elements: five to six process groups, and a control system. Regardless of the methodology or terminology used, the same basic project management processes is used. Major process groups generally include:
- Project Kick-off / Initiation
- Project and Resource Planning
- Project execution
- Monitoring and controlling
Project Communication, Collaboration and Resource Integration
It is hard to get project teams to work together when information is scattered in different systems ranging from an ERP module to someone’s Laptop. Efficient collaboration begins by storing information on customer accounts, project plans, resource schedules and customer communications in a single place. Otherwise your team will resort to email and spreadsheets to keep a project together. With BES Project Management Software, your team can work together online at every step of the project. We can help you to;
- Remove internal silos and eliminate spreadsheets
- Get everyone on the same page with the same updated information
- Add running Chatter conversations to projects to understand the why, not just the what
Project Resource planner
Our project and resource planner features provide a powerful cross company view into all your projects and resources. With our software, you can get the whole picture and know how and where to interchange or concentrate resources across multiple projects.
- Get visibility into the big picture of the Project status when you need it
- Search and filter through your projects to avoid information overload
- Drill down to individual resource schedules and adjust assignments with drag-and-drop ease
- View resource requests right along with all ongoing projects to determine how filling those resource requests will impact other projects
In addition to the robust resource management features, project task management provides the detail needed for project managers and teams. Leverage a robust Gantt view of project tasks and their dependencies to better manage the details of your projects. Now your project managers can have the tools they need to run your entire Project delivery and services team on the same platform.
- Get a robust Gantt project view
- Update project tasks easily
- Track and manage tasks not related to billing such as client tasks or tasks for internal non-billable employees